I recently received a notification from Amazon that my 12 month free trial was coming to an end. This made me realise a few things:
- I’ve been too distracted on other projects:
- Creating a Xamarin app
- Trying to set up my own mail forwarder with DKIM
- Adding AdSense and Analytics to a website with low traffic
- Setting up Amazon SES to send mail to… no one
- I would have to start paying for AWS in the coming months
- I haven’t posted to the blog in a while
I spent a Saturday afternoon migrating everything to GCP. Luckily as everything was in docker, it was quite easy to set up a VM instance and migrate the data across. Almost everything that I did for creating my EC2 instance has an equivalent in Google Cloud. After that, all I had to do is to point my DNS records to Google hosted servers.
I’ve also decided that WordPress is not the best solution for the site, as I spent more time trying to write content and keep plugins up to date than develop my ideas. You’ll see some changes happen in the next few months including moving to Firebase and finding an alternative to WordPress. A blog doesn’t really need to be billed on CPU cycles, so I am evaluating some lightweight platforms like Jekyll and Hugo.
Keep your eyes peeled!